Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Birthday Gift for Mum

It's my Mum's birthday on Tuesday Feb 11 and I wanted to make her something this year.  I always have trouble trying to find her something in the shops as she is very hard to buy for, so this year I thought I would put my new craft into action and make her something she can keep for a long time.


Pinwheel table runner

Too say I was super happy with the end product is a bit of an understatement, I couldn't get the smile off my face as I watched it all come together and put that final stitch into the binding.  Binding, which by the way is my first ever attempt at, and I was soo worried about that stage of the table runner, but have to admit that its the part I really enjoyed.  I kept hearing myself doing little "Squees" every now and then.  I have to invest in a walking foot for my machine as my model didn't come with one, that is why I just did the simple diagonal quilting so I wouldn't get too much bunching happening.  I watched the Missouri Quilt Company tutorial on the binding, attached it by machine to the front and then hand stitched it to the back (gotta love those tutorials!!).  Again I am not saying it is 100% perfect, I have no one sat here helping me at all with this new craft, I am learning everything as I go from all the wonderful blogs out there (especially the Aussie ladies, you girls are fab) and the great tutorials.

I also picked up these gorgeous fabrics during the week.  My goal, to make a cot quilt!  I just fell in love with the ballooning animals, too cute.


Thank you for all your comments on my previous posts, your encouragement and lovely words are soo wonderful to hear and it really spurs me on to learn and create more.

Until next time, happy stitching & quilting.
Lisa

17 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

I don't know anything about quilting but if this is your first attempt, congratulations and well done!!!! It looks great :)I'm sure your mum will be really pleased with it.

butterfly said...

You have done a great job on your mothers table top she is going to love it. Well done , love your stash .

Bianca said...

It came out lovely :)

Carol said...

Your mom will absolutely love your gift, Lisa!! It is so pretty... Glad you are enjoying your quilting so much! I hope your mother has a most happy birthday :)

creations.1 said...

You are doing well with your new craft Lisa - your mum would be very pleased with her present!

Ellen said...

Beautiful table runner for your mum, I am sure she will love it!

Happy Birthday to your mum!

Hugs,

Bev C said...

Hello Lisa,

Happy Birthday to your Mum, she will be so happy with the present.Good luck with the quilt.

Happy days.
Bev.

Clare - Aimetu said...

It's a beautiful runner - your Mum's a very lucky lady

Brigitte said...

Oh Lisa, this is so great! So perfectly sewn and quilted and finished. You can be really proud of having created such a beautiful gift for your mom.

Angela P said...

I think it's a beautiful finish and I bet your Mom was thrilled with it! So glad your enjoying the quilting.

diamondc said...

Lisa: What a beautiful table runner, cimgratulations on the win over at Cabbages and Kings.

Catherine

Lesleyanne said...

A lovely finish. I am sure your mum will love it.

Sharyn T said...

Your runner looks great Lisa, well done. Sharyn:)

Andrea said...

A beautiful present for your Mum. I am sure she will treasure it. Lovely fabrics for your cot quilt too.

Kate said...

Such a beautiful gift - I'm sure your Mum will treasure it.

Suzanne said...

What a wonderful gift for your mum, you did a splendid job of making the runner.

Mum's can be so hard to buy for, especially when they have everything. I find my handmade things are always appreciated more than something I buy from the shop.

Maggee said...

That is a lovely table runner! I subscribe to Missouri Quilt on youtube... have lots of great ideas from her! Just no time!! Hugs!