Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Mini Quilt Finish

I'm doing the "Happy Dance"!!!
This patchwork/quilting sure is contagious.  I'm already putting together some blocks and thinking of a table runner for my Mum, and I had a heap of 5" scrap squares from when I originally started quilting (yes I have hung onto them for 15 years), I guess one day I'd hoped to make them into something.  Well my Cousin has announced that he and his new wife are expecting, so I'm thinking there is a possibility of a cot quilt.  Who knows!
Anyway back to my "Happy Dance" moment.  I have finished up my practice mini quilt I was working on. What an experience it was, I enjoyed myself so much.  Some bits had me on the edge of my seat whilst using my sewing machine, but I'm sure the more I get used to it I will learn the tricks of the trade.  So here is a photo.  Don't look too closely as its not perfect and I know that, but as mentioned this really is my practice piece.  There were no instructions on where you were supposed to quilt it so I just went with it, I would probably do that differently a second time round but hey, you live and learn, and that's the fun of crafting.  I don't think its too bad for my first try back at this craft.  Its not the proper way of binding either, this one had instructions on using the backing fabric, making it bigger than your front and folding and bringing it to the front, making sure to mitre your corners.  I was happy to do it this way to start, but will be trying the proper way with future pieces.
Without further ado, here is my first mini quilt.


PS. The flower embellishments came with it and I'm still deciding on placement for them, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Son returns to school in a week.  Here in Australia our school year runs from February to December, with the week before Christmas right through January as their Summer holidays.  I have been getting his stationery together and other requirements but this year decided to make him a library bag.  I had some boyish fabric and basically just put it together, no pattern, I just went for it.  I think it will do the job and it saves me having to buy one, plus its one of a kind so he shouldn't go losing it.  He turns 10 this year and he is really getting into things like zombies, monsters and aliens, so the skulls made him very happy.


Well I really don't know what I am going to get up to next.  Things just spring into my head and I decide to give them a go.  I have been going back through some magazines and marking ones that I would like to try that can be either patchwork or applique, its just the buying of supplies that holds me back at the moment.  I have been doing cross stitch for soo long now that I have built up a lot of stash and really only need to buy the odd pattern that takes my fancy every now and then, but with this new interest I really am starting from scratch and will have to build my supplies up.  The only problem is that I am running out of room in my small study.  I have told my husband that we will need to buy a bigger house soon just so I can have a bigger craft room and study. hehe

Until next time, happy stitching
Lisa

13 comments:

creations.1 said...

I think your practice piece looks great!!

gracie said...

Great idea making the boy a one of a kind bag.

Angela P said...

I love both your mini quilt and book bag finishes :)

Kate said...

Congratulations on your finish it looks great. We are always critical of our own work and see things that many others would not even notice. Good luck with whatever you try next.

butterfly said...

Looks lovely Lisa, No matter how big your craft room will be you will fill it , I can't move in mine and it's big can't get it all in, I could do with two ! hugs.

Lisa said...

I love your practice piece...it looks perfect to me. I like where you have the flower embellishments now - in the corners. Other thought it to put them closer to the middle(?). Great "boy" bag. I am sure that will come in handy. We all could use a bigger crafting room, right? Maybe just a house for that :)
Take care!

Bianca said...

I think the mini quilt came out great! The embellishments look good where they are, but putting one in each of the top corners might be another option.

Ellen said...

Your practice quilt looks great! I am no good at sewing machine, prefer hand stitched ha ha!

That library bag is cool, sure your son would love it!

Hugs,

Carol said...

Yep--zombies, monsters, aliens, and skulls--perfect for a 10 year old boy :) Very cute bag, Lisa, and your little quilt is so lovely!! Sounds like a bigger house is definitely in order!!

Andrea said...

Your quilt is lovely and so is your sons bag.

Maggee said...

The mini quilt is very pretty--the color are quite nice! Hugs!

Anthea said...

A bigger sewing area is definitely needed Lisa - how else are you to have the space to build your skills?!?! LOL
Good luck to your son for his year - lets hope it's not too hot in the first week like it always ends up being - the library bag is great - well done x

Suzanne said...

I love the mini quilt, I love the little flower details.