Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Catch Up & A Win

We have been having some very hot days here, especially last weekend.  We had a terrible bushfire in the Hills that destroyed around 52 homes, such a terrible start to the New Year.  It turned out that one of the streets that 5 homes were destroyed on was where we lived about 10 years ago.  I'm not sure if our old house was one of the ones lost, but it deeply saddens me to know that some of our old neighbours are now dealing with such heartache.

Onto lighter news and here is a photo of an exchange I sent before Christmas (Dec 1 actually) only to have arrived in Canada last week.  And the parcel I'm waiting for sent at the same time from Canada hasn't arrived here yet.


As mentioned in previous posts, I am dabbling in quilting/patchwork again.  Now its been a good 15 years since I did this and back then I was taught the paper piecing method.  Now I have my new sewing machine I'm going to use that instead.  Here is a photo of one of the very first things I made back then.


It's not the greatest, especially the colours as I had to take what was given to me at the time, as I was learning and had no supplies.  It was given to my Mum and she has it sat on her dressing table.

Well I decided to give a mini a go and probably  picked out the hardest one to try first, even though it looked easy (and it probably is for some) but I really have to practice on getting the seams to match up better.  All those tiny squares lining up was a bit of a challenge for me and I definately have to work on them more and just get used to my sewing machine, but I have to say this is my first practice quilt and I can look back on it in years to come and see where I started and hopefully how far I have come.  It now needs the batting and back to be added and then quilted and then of course the binding, which will be an interesting thing to learn.


I have also hand appliqued some small coasters, but will leave them for another post as I am still working on them.

I was also the winner of a giveaway on Kim's blog and here is a picture of what I received.


That's all my latest news for now.  To all in the Eastern States of Australia, stay safe in this heatwave, especially if you are in a Hills or rural area prone to fires.  And to everyone else in the world in a lovely cold climate at the moment (lucky things!) stay warm and toasty.

Until next time, happy stitching
Lisa

12 comments:

Christina said...

I would love to learn to quilt so I will watch your progress with interest!
The fabric you won in Kim's giveaway is lovely. I'm so bored of working on natural linen.

Sally said...

I saw on the newsabout the fires and the awful devastation they caused. So sad.

The exchange you sent is lovely. I hope yours arrives son.

Lovely quilting. I can't sew. I try with my cross stitch but that's as far as it goes!

Congratulations on your win!

Vickie said...

My oh my, that is a long time to wait for exchanges.
Good for you with the quilting again. Looks great.

Ellen said...

Great quilting! I am no good at sewing ha ha!

Congrats on your win, lovely chart n fabric!

Hugs,

butterfly said...

You are having fires we are having the floods , what is going on in our dear world.
My heart goes out to all those people who are caught up in this strange weather.
Love all your sewing and exchange gifts also your win. hugs

Carol said...

Such terrible news about the fires in Australia, Lisa... We are having them here, too, out in California. Just crazy weather all over the world this year!

Love to watch your quilting progress and congratulations on your win :) Hope this is the start of winning year for you :)

Kay said...

Congrats on your win! A girl can never have too much stash. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to posting, in England it can arrive the next day or disappear for a while. I twice received post from Australia which only took 4 days which was amazing.

Suzanne said...

My sympathies go out to you and all the people affected by the fires. Having gone through the same in October I know how it feels. {{HUGS}}

Great win you have there and nice work on your quilting.

Brigitte said...

What a great start in quilting this is. I'm looking forward to seeing the piece quilted and finished.
OH my, the postal ways are sometimes weird. Maybe your package surrounded the earth before arriving in Canada, lol. I hope that the one you are waiting for will arrive soon.
These bushfires must be devastating for the people living nearby. So terrible to lose one's home to the fire.

Andrea said...

So much devastation around the world by different issues, just terrible.

A great exchange, hopefully yours won't be too long getting to you now. A lovely bundle of goodies to win. Your new quilt is lovely, love the colours you have chosen.

Jan Gartlan said...

The bush fires and heat have been terrible. Luckily Tassie hasn't fared too badly this summer where I live. Lovely new quilt projects!

shez said...

lovely gifts and congrats on your win and i think your patchwork looks fantastic,well done Lisa.xx