Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Titanic Remembered

I remember as a little girl learning about the Titanic and being fascinated by this majestic ship and the story of its fate.  100 years ago today, RMS Titanic sank in the north Atlantic Ocean after hitting an iceberg.  It was on its maiden voyage.

This weekend I have been watching documentaries on tv exploring many different elements of the Titanic disaster, its passengers and the wreck itself.  No matter what, its a true story that always brings a tear to my eyes, all those lives lost on that fateful night, it was soo tragic, and the loss of the beautiful ship itself.  The Belfast shipworkers who spent years building it to its full glory to lose it soo quickly, soo devastating.

I have two Titanic pictures in my home, one to represent the beauty of the ship as it would have been seen by many back in 1912, and the other to represent its final resting place on the ocean floor.  I treasure them both, and one day when I move into a larger home I would love to expand on my memorabilia.


"Titanic's Last Sunset" by Adrian Rigby
I purchased this framed piece whilst holidaying back in England (my birth place) and bought it back in my suitcase.


This picture is a still from the movie Titanic by James Cameron, its the part where Rose and Jack share their first kiss and as the music fades off hauntingly so does this image underwater showing them as ghostly silhouettes on the wreck.

Today I light a candle in remembrance of all those who lost their lives on board the Titanic on April 15, 1912.
Lisa

3 comments:

Deb said...

Do you know what is so sad is that I've never seen the movie, but my daughter and I are going this week. They also have a wonderful exhibit going on The Henry Ford that we're going to see. It's really sobering to remember how many people lost their lives that night.

diamondc said...

Lisa: Beautiful pictures I had goose bumps looking at the bottom picture.
Happy stitching
Catherine

Angela said...

Wonderful pictures! I especially like the first one. I've always been interested in the Titanic stories and as you know the movie is one of my favorites, the score by James Horner is hauntingly beautiful.

I just finished watching a History Channel documentary about Titanic and it was so fascinating. They now have mapped out the entire site on the ocean floor and have been able to investigate if there were any flaws in Titanic's design. I like the way it ended by saying that any other ship would have sank within minutes but Titanic held on for 3 hours and because of that allowed so many people to survive. She was one of the strongest ships on the sea.

We always seem to focus on all the lives lost but they said if it had been any other ship almost everyone would have perished. Interesting stuff.